Turkey & Mushroom BBQ Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Month: April 2019
Author: The Mushroom Council
This recipe uses a blend of lean ground turkey and white button mushrooms to create a hearty filling for tender sweet potatoes. Skip the oven and simply microwave the potatoes until tender for a quick dinner. Pair with a simple salad for a meal.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, about 1 pound each
- 16 ounces white button mushrooms
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups prepared barbecue sauce
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 green onions, white and green portion sliced
- Pierce potatoes in several places with a fork and cook in the microwave according to your unit’s instructions, 13 to 15 minutes, until fork-tender. Let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Add mushrooms to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped (or finely dice by hand if preferred). Blend ground turkey and mushrooms in a large bowl.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the turkey and mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add onion. Continue to cook, until the turkey is browned and no longer pink, about 7 more minutes. Drain excess liquid.
- Add barbecue sauce and stir until heated through, about 2 minutes. Cut each sweet potato in half lengthwise. Place cut-side up on a baking sheet. Use a fork to mash some of the potato and move to the sides to create a space for the filling. Spoon barbecue filling into each of the 8 potato halves. Sprinkle with an equal amount of cheese.
- Broil on high for five minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbling.